A Mobile Device, sometimes referred to as handheld device, is a general term for any type of handheld computer.
These devices are designed to be portable and easy to use. Most mobile devices – like smartphones, tablets or e-readers – are powerful enough to do many of the same things you can do with a desktop or laptop computer.
Mobile Devices have similar characteristics. Among them are:
- Wi-Fi or cellular access to the internet
- A battery that powers the device for several hours
- A physical or onscreen keyboard for entering information
- Size and weight that allows it to be carried in one hand and manipulated with the other hand
- Touch-screen interfaces in almost all cases
- The ability to download data from the internet, including apps, books, videos, music etc.
- Wireless operation
Since the usage of mobile devices has increased dramatically within the last years, mobile advertising has also become a big issue for marketers. It allows them to track potential customers and address them with relevant content that is likely to attract their interest. Thus mobile advertising is personalized and way more specific than conventional marketing activities.